Welcome to the City News page!
Filter the news postings by category and/or department.
El Cajon Working Aggressively To Combat The Spread Of Hepatitis A
For Immediate Release
Date: September 20, 2017
City of El Cajon Takes Steps to Combat the Spread of Hepatitis A
The City of El Cajon has been working closely with the County of San Diego and other partners since the announcement of the recent Hepatitis A outbreak. The City is taking an aggressive and proactive role in protecting the safety of the City’s residents and visitors.
Below is a list of actions the City has taken or is currently working on to address this issue:
- There are currently 38 existing handwashing stations / sinks at City parks,
- Approved County installation of a handwashing station at Prescott Promenade,
- Approved County installation of a handwashing station outside of the County library,
- Approved County installation, in conjunction with MTS, of handwashing stations at Trolley Stations,
- Police Department’s Homeless Outreach Team accompanied County nurses for in-the-field Hepatitis A vaccinations - additional nurse visits are planned,
- City power washing sidewalks, curbs and benches in areas where homeless congregate,
- Requested MTS to power wash trolley platforms,
- Ensured that all City restrooms are being cleaned with effective Hepatitis A cleansers, and
- Posted a Hepatitis A webpage http://www.cityofelcajon.us/resident-services/public-safety/hepatitis-a-outbreak and Facebook page with information about the outbreak, prevention tips, and a summary of the City’s efforts to address the issue.
In addition, the County has conducted approximately twenty vaccination events and administered several hundred vaccines to high risk individuals within the City of El Cajon thus far. The City will work with the County to help publicize future events in the City.
The City will continue to seek to be involved in any additional preventive strategies that will be beneficial.
Please contact Assistant City Manager Graham Mitchell at (619) 441-1716 with any questions.